Do you grow a goatee?
If you do, you know what is a goatee but probably you can’t explain verbally what it is. So let’s start by defining a goatee.
What is a goatee?
A goatee by modern standards is facial hair around the mouth and chin but not the cheeks. The most important aspect of goatees is that the facial hair should cover the chin just like a billy-goat and form a tuft. Actually the name goatee was derived from the Billy goat.
History of the Goatee.
It is believed in the ancient Geek mythology there once lived a Greek god by the name pantheon, in short Greek god pan. He was half human and half a goat. He had a giant billy-goat’s head. This is thought to be the source of goatees among men in the medieval times.
However, with the coming of Christianity, paganism was associated to Satan. When Christians dominated Greece, they depicted the medieval pictures of Satan with a goatee and a goatee was kind of unacceptable.
In the 19th century, the rebellious Bohemians in France popularized goatee again. The bohemians were known for their unorthodox lifestyle which was more like the hippies but perhaps well organized as a community of like minds.
In the US the Bohemian like subculture known as beatnik came under the influence of a renown poet and author Jack Kerouac’s works in the 1950s. The beatniks, with their vagabond life style, popularized the goatee in the US.
It is a daunting task to characterize all the goatee styles that have ever existed. If you happen to keep a goatee, maybe you have your own original style that you are proud of but not yet documented. Nevertheless, there are a few styles that stood up the test of time and almost every barber and goatee masters (those who keep goatees) know about them.
- A chin puff – Is the facial hair growing from the chin directly beneath the mouth. It is like a strip sticking on the chin and well trimmed to avoid the overhang under the chin.
- A beard strap and a chin strap – A chin strap is a narrow line of hair on the chin that appears like a strap. A beard strap is more common, it is a narrow line of hair that goes round the chin and to the sides to form a helmet like strap.
- A goatee – Is a tuft of hair under the chin without a moustache as shown earlier on this article.
- Circle beard – This is a goatee in which the moustache is allowed to connect to the hair on the chin.
- Soul patch – This is a kind of tiny chin puff that hangs immediately beneath the mouth but does not extend down towards the chin.
- Fu Manchu beard – Is more like a horse shoe beard popularized by the likes of Hulk hogan, but it’s much narrower. Fu Manchu was a fictional Chinese master criminal character created by Sax Rhomer in 1911.
Why do men grow goatees?
Goatees have a number of merits especially if the goatee is well taken care of that is. Here are some five reasons why men grow goatees.
1) Many ladies like goatees or they get attracted to well maintained goatees. So growing goatees increases a chance of a man getting that lady next door.
2) Goatees are kind of branding tools where men use them as their personal identity. Branding exudes confidence and personality.
3) Goatees are much easier to maintain compared to beards. That brings out the aspect of convenience.
4) Any facial hair gives men that masculinity edge. Goatees give that edge in an easier to maintain manner.
5) Goatees can act as face lifts to hide any unpleasant facial structures
Weird goatee tools – unusual gifts for men.
- The goatee saver –. A company named goatee saver came up with a shaving template called My Perfect Goatee. The template ensures a Symmetrical shave without the need of a mirror. To learn more about goatee saver check out the link below.
- Groomarang – As you might have guessed the name was coined from the words “groom” and “boomerang”. The product looks like a boomerang. It’s a beard shaping template with a comb and a brush. To learn more about the product, check out the link below.
What do you think about the shaving kits above? Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
If you have any suggestions for strange shaving kits that you may have come across please let us know.